When should you replace your home’s heating system? There is no exact answer to this question as it all depends on how often your system receives maintenance work and how efficiently it works. The general estimate though is that most heating systems will last about 20 years. But there could be several reasons your heating system would need replacing before it nears the end of its lifespan. Here are a few signs that your house heating system needs to be substituted for a new one:
- Sudden high utility costs: If you notice a sudden spike in your gas or electric bill it may be a sign that your heating system has lost its heating efficiency. Consequently, it will take longer to heat the whole house (another tell-tale sign). This might especially be the case if you’re using an older heating system with efficiency only between 56% and 70%.
In such an instance, it’s highly advisable to upgrade your old heating system to one with much higher efficiency (98.5% or so), which will provide much better heating and keep your heating bills low. If a newer heating system shows this issue, then consult your local HVAC repair in Glendale, CA for a checkup.
- Yellow burner flame: A good, healthy gas furnace must have a nice blue flame. But if it is yellow, it may indicate that carbon monoxide is present in the heated gas. In such cases, it is crucial to both replace the heating system and evacuate the home immediately as carbon monoxide is a deadly, poisonous gas. Some of the signs to look out for if you’re suspecting carbon monoxide leaks are unexplained flu-like symptoms like nausea, headaches, burning eyes, etc.
- Constant adjustment of thermostat: If your thermostat needs constant fiddling to supply the right temperature, it might be a sign that your furnace is facing issues. But, unfortunately, it may be an issue with your thermostat as well. So get your system evaluated, and if the furnace is identified as the cause of the thermostat malfunctioning, you may need a new heating system.
- Odd noises: The sign of a sound, a well-functioning heating system, is its ability to operate in silence. So if you hear any rattling, squealing, or banging sounds from your system, it might be time for a repair or a complete replacement.
For example, if there are banging sounds, it could mean problems with the blower; squealing sounds could be due to issues with the motor bearings; loud rattling may mean that the motor is failing, and screeching sounds could be due to problems with the compressor. Get the issue identified first and replace the system if your HVAC expert recommends it.
- Short cycling: If your heating system constantly alternates between its ON and OFF stages––which is called short cycling––it is a sign that the heat exchanger is overheating and, in turn, causing the heater to shut down prematurely. This can seriously affect the efficiency of your system. So if this is a problem you have been experiencing lately, it may be time to get a new heating system.
We are offering some of the extensive services which are mentioned below:
If you’re looking to get your heating system replaced, Evans Heating & Air, one of the best heating services in Glendale, CA, would be happy to help. Our highly skilled and experienced HVAC experts are just one call away at (818) 415-8966.